Social Work Education Partnership (SWEP)
To find out more about SWEP and what we do click our video below to view our latest film:
If you want to view more films about Social Work Education and Participation go to: Video resources
Who we are
SWEP is a network of service users and carers: people with direct experience of social work education from different parts of the country.
SWEP emerged out of research carried out for SCIE, the Social Care Institute for Excellence (www.scie.org.uk ). Two pieces of research were carried out, one looking at the participation of service users and the other looking at carer participation:
1. ‘Developing user involvement in social work education’ by Fran Branfield, Shaping our Lives. http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/reports/report29.asp)
2. ‘Carers as Partners (CaPs) in social work education’ – Imogen Taylor, Suzy Braye and Andy Cheng, University of Sussex. http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/reports/report28.asp)
What we do
SWEP is a national network with the aim of sharing best practice about service user and carer participation in social work education. SWEP aims to:
- Promote and encourage the participation of service users and carers in social work education;
- Build capacity amongst service users and carers to enable them to participate;
- Share information about good practice in service user and carer participation in social work education;
- Bring all of the people involved in social work education together so that they can learn from each other about meaningful participation.
How SWEP works
The site has lots of practical examples of best practice and contemporary ideas about participation.
We have regular meetings either bi-monthly or quarterly.
We are a membership organisation: if you are a service user or carer and either involved or interested in being involved in social work education please consider joining SWEP. If you are a social work student, educator or practitioner, you can apply for associate membership.
We welcome your contributions
Sharing: We encourage you to upload any examples of good practice and information about service user and carer participation in social work education that others could make use of
Please read our house rules and terms and conditions before uploading any information.